Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Teen Book Review


I have a huge project on my plate this year and part of it involves reading LOTS of books. I currently have about a dozen books on my "to read" shelf in my office, and I was rather impressed with one and wanted to share it with you. If you have ever talked to me, you might know that I am not a fantasy reader. There is just something about made up, nonexistent worlds that I cannot wrap my mind around. And talking animals? It's just not for me. However, my recent project required me to read Nightshade City by Hilary Wagner. Wagner is an author out of the Chicago area, and her book is the result of a dare made by her husband. So there I sat, at home, in my office, reluctantly reading a book about mutant rats trying to overthrow a corrupt government. My only comfort was a note on the front of the cover, "Expect great adventures in Nightshade City.--Rick Riordan." The author of our beloved, action filled Percy Jackson series enjoyed it, so there had to be something great hidden within the pages.

I tried hard to keep up with the characters. Seriously, I actually had to write them on a piece of paper and write notes about the characters because I had trouble telling one rat from the other. I needed to jot these little tidbits down because my brain just does not process fantasy details very well. I gave it some time, trudged through, and was so glad I did because this book is amazing! There is lots of action, the characters have depth, there is an underground war, what is not to love?! By the end of the book I was surprised and sad that the second book of the series was not yet published... The White Assassin came out November 1st of this year. If you've read any of the Redwall books by Brian Jacques, The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo, or Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins (that's the same person who wrote The Hunger Games!) you might enjoy this book. You'll have to stop by the Library or check out our catalog, because we own all these books. Also, check back for more teen titles to be reviewed as well as for more info on my exciting project.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let us know what you think!