Monday, March 26, 2012

I geek Knitting


For those unfamiliar with the craft it is known as something only “old ladies” do. However, those who knit know that most older people knit because during the two world wars, those not old enough to serve were asked to do their part by knitting socks for soldiers overseas. The rich history of knitting and much more is in the book Knitting America by Susan Strawn. Today, knitting is done by folks of all ages and genders, including boys and girls in grade school. In any case, gone are the days of knitting being done by grandma and in comes a fresh, new generation of knitters.

People unknowing of the craft frequently confuse knitting with its cousin, crochet. While I do not crochet, I believe you can distinctly identify the two by the number of sticks being held by the crafter. If there is one stick, it’s crochet. Two or more sticks? That’s knitting.


I learned to knit in college. My political science professor gave each student a copy of the school paper and asked us to read the editorial. On the front page was an article covering the university’s newest club, the knit and crochet club. I was curious and showed up with my knitting needles and yarn and asked them to teach me. After learning to knit, I began taking my knitting to other classes. This is where I slowly trained myself to knit without looking at what I was doing, a skill that I now use when at the movie theatre. Not just during the previews, but during the movie itself my eyes are glued to the screen while my hands are busy working on a scarf or another project.

Knitters are like Mac users. When one person sees another, they flock together and before you know it, the group doubles in size; and even though these people may have just met, they are already the best of friends through their passion for knitting. Knitters are also known for taking their craft with them. If your project fits in a bag, why not?

If you don’t knit, but have always wanted to learn, check out the Village Yarn Shop right here in Zionsville. They welcome guests who both knit and crochet. Don’t be surprised if it seems more like a petting zoo… crafters love to feel the differences between yarns. If you are too busy to get out, you can always share your passion for knitting on Ravelry, a free online site for knitters and crocheters.

I could go on and on about my love of knitting. If you ever want to celebrate strides in knitting or crocheting, please bring your project to the library and ask for the teen librarian. I would love to see what you are working on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let us know what you think!