Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Library love

I love libraries and librarians. I have for decades, since my first visit to the Brownsburg Public Library and my introduction to Mrs. Campbell and Mrs. Sharp (whom I could never refer to as Lois and Jean, even as an adult). Those wonderful ladies have passed on, but the library building is still there on Main Street, though mysteriously much, much smaller than the first time I entered it. Brownsburg's current library is housed in a much more modern and appropriate building. I'm sure the librarians there are as smart and helpful as Mrs. Campbell and Mrs. Sharp.

The smart and helpful librarians I've come to know lately are at Hussey-Mayfield, the Zionsville Public Library. I'm grateful to them and to Jake Speer, the library's new director, for letting me write an occasional post on the library's blog site.

After a career in corporate marketing and communications, mostly at IBM in the New York City area, I'm now studying at IUPUI to become a librarian. This blog is an opportunity for me to share what I'm learning about the library world in general and the Zionsville Public Library in particular. More than that, I hope the blog will also be an opportunity for me to learn from you, the library's customers.

Libraries, including this one, are constantly changing to meet the needs of the communities who depend on them. I'm eager to know from you what you like about your library, what you'd like to see improved, and what you want from your library in the future. So please find the "Post a comment" box on this page and tell me what you think. (If you don’t see where to post a comment, just click on the headline of my blog post and you’ll be taken to a version of this blog page that does have a comment box at the bottom of the page.)

Meanwhile, I get to do what the Hussey-Mayfield librarians are too modest to do: Urge you to nominate your favorite librarian(s) for an I Love My Librarian Award. The Carnegie Corporation of New York and The New York Times are inviting "library users nationwide to recognize the accomplishments of librarians in public, school, college, community college, and university libraries for their efforts to improve the lives of people in their community. Nominations are being accepted online at ilovelibraries.org/ilovemylibrarian through Sept. 20," according to the press release.

Mrs. Campbell and Mrs. Sharp, if you're still keeping an eye on me, I'll tell you that you both would be my nominees.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let us know what you think!