Thursday, September 15, 2011

I Geek Hobbits


I don't personally geek Hobbits, but I found someone who does. His name is Buck and when he is not being incredibly passionate about Hobbits, he is playing sports, playing with his son, or working as an attorney. When I asked Buck why he geeks Hobbits, this is what he had to say.

"At the beginning of seventh grade, I was very much a Hobbit without knowing it: short, curly-haired and fond of going barefoot and eating five meals a day. A friend suggested that I read J. R. R. Tolkien’s “The Hobbit” over Thanksgiving break and I only surfaced from Middle Earth long enough to eat a turkey dinner. I returned to Middle Earth that Christmas break, reading “The Lord of Rings.” I’ve reread both books dozens of times since. The impact of Tolkien’s writing on my life can’t be understated. All of my favorite things, from hiking and camping to foreign travel to my college degree in history to sword fighting all derive inspiration from his works. However, the most lasting impact comes from the Professor’s (it’s what we Hobbit-geeks call Tolkien) love of languages. I’m studying Chinese, my sixth language, thanks to a spark kindled by the Elvish languages I encountered in the books."

So there you have it. One man and his passion for Hobbits. If you share Buck's passion or are a fan of all things Middle Earth, you should join us at the Library for Baggins' Birthday Bash. It is none other than September 22, the birthday of both Frodo and Bilbo Baggins. Hurry! Seating is limited and registration is required.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let us know what you think!