Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Scan this . . .

Another use for those ubiquitous bar codes: mobile phone apps that let you catalog and organize books. Scan the bar code on a book (using your device’s camera) and import a synopsis, reviews, cover art, prices, and more. Now, when I’m at a bookstore, I can scan the UPC on books I’ve read, books I want to read, and books I want to borrow from the library!! The free app I’m currently using on my Android phone is MyBookDroid. (There are probably others, too.) Inexpensive apps for iPhones include Book Crawler and iBookshelf @ $1.99. No camera? My old iPod Touch doesn’t have one either, but if I enter the book’s ISBN manually, I can still import and store data.

And on the subject of apps, don’t forget OverDrive. OverDrive Media Console apps allow HMMPL Cardholders to download EPUB eBooks and MP3 audiobooks directly to their Androids, BlackBerries; iPhones, iPads, and Windows Mobile devices, so they can read them anywhere, anytime.

Many thanks to Bridget who tipped me off to the existence of “book cataloging apps” at Books Over Coffee, an awesome brown bag lunch bunch that meets at the Library at noon on the second Tuesday of every month.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let us know what you think!