Thursday, March 11, 2010

Currently Reading

by Kelli

Although many books have the ability to put a smile on my face or a lump in my throat, very few go the extra mile and cause me to break out in fits of laughter or wipe my eyes of tears.

I am currently enthralled with Richard Peck and his books A Long Way from Chicago, A Year Down Yonder, and A Season of Gifts. All three follow the life of Grandma Dowdel, one of the most memorable book characters of all time. As I read about her, I can't help but be reminded of my own late grandfather, with a touch of my mother-in-law thrown in for good measure. Author Richard Peck is often compared to Mark Twain and for good reason because of his ability to formulate rich dialog that defines a character and a time.

I look forward to reading these books with my son and witnessing his reaction to Grandma Dowdel's funny antics and optimistic view of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let us know what you think!