Friday, February 19, 2010

The Cure for Cabin Fever

By Julie

ski
Originally uploaded by HMMPL YOUTH

Have you ever seen it snow from inside the library? The big rounded windows make it look as if you are inside a snow globe! It is so interesting to look outside at the tracks in your yard and guess which animal they belong to; I think I have seen fox, raccoon, cat, squirrel, and bird tracks in my yard this winter.

It is wonderful to play in the snow or build a snowman, and I don’t even mind shoveling that much! Nonetheless, it has been really cold this winter, it isn’t fun to scrape windows or drive in the snow, and I have shoveled enough snow this year—I was just starting to suffer from the Wintertime Blues; hopelessly, waiting for springtime to come with warmer weather and beautiful flowers. However, after this weekend, I am really hoping winter does last six more weeks, and I hope the snow and the cold stay, too!


Saturday morning I went with Mr. and Mrs. Gangstad to Eagle Creek Park to go cross country skiing for my first time ever! It was a little difficult to get started, my hands were pulling when they should have been pushing, and my feet were striding when they should have been gliding, but the Gangstads are patient and eventually we made our own tracks around Eagle Creek!

The day was absolutely perfect, the sun was out, and the frost shimmered on the reservoir and on the tree branches. Despite all of the energy I was using up, it was a very relaxing and peaceful morning. We saw deer, met some friendly people and dogs, and really enjoyed being outside in all the beauty of winter. I can’t wait to get bundled up again to make some fresh tracks in this new snow! Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Come to the library and see how we can help you with cabin fever!

Check out some cook books, we have everything from American Girl to slimy gooey disgusting cook books!

We have a new international cook book series called Let’s Get Cooking. Churritos from Mexico look delicious and would be really yummy with vanilla ice cream! Hot chocolate might be more fitting for the weather, did you know chocolate originally came from Mexico? I learned that from Fun with Mexican Cooking by Karen Ward.


Curl up on one of our window benches and read a good book. Can’t find one? Ask a Librarian. I just started reading 39 Clues, and I am pretty sure that will be a good one!

Come and play computer games or try out our Exploration Station.

Challenge yourself to do the I-spy game. It is going to get really tricky next month because we are moving books around like crazy!

Check out some craft books from our ENORMOUS Craft book section. We have a new book, Fabulous Fashion Crafts that might really inspire you to accessorize! Perhaps you prefer paper airplanes; we have those books, too.

What kinds of things does your family do to beat cabin fever?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let us know what you think!